- Keep foods like chicken salad and desserts on ice in a shallow container set in a deep pan filled with ice. Drain and refill melted ice as necessary.
- Hot food should be kept hot at or above 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Keep hot food in insulated containers until serving time.
- Organize cooler contents and keep coolers with perishable items closed. Keep beverages in one container and perishable items in another.
- Keep raw meats, poultry, and seafood securely wrapped to avoid cross-contamination with produce and other foods.
- Remember to clean produce under running tap water before packing them in the cooler.
Eating Outdoors, Handling Food Safety, U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm109899.htm. Updated May 26, 2016.